by Rita Kennedy, Demand Media as published on USA Today Travel Tips Pass

Your U.S. passport is required for travel to Europe.

Travel regulations in Europe are heavily influenced by the 1985 Schengen Agreement, which removed border controls between the signatory countries. As of May 2012, 25 countries have signed the agreement, including major U.S. visitor destinations like France, Germany and Italy. You'll need a passport to enter any European country initially, but won’t need a visa for tourist or business visits within the Schengen zone. If you’re traveling for any other reason -- such as study, internship or employment -- you may need to get a visa before you leave the United States. The State Department recommends contacting the relevant U.S. Embassy for advice well in advance of your trip if this applies to you.

Schengen Agreement

Once you have been granted entry to one Schengen country, you can travel to other countries in the Schengen area without having to show your passport each time you cross an international border. However, European Union regulations require non-EU passport holders to have their passport stamped on arrival in the Schengen area. The State Department recommends that you get this entry stamp to avoid being questioned about the length of your stay when you leave Europe.

Non-Schengen Countries

The Schengen Agreement applies to most European countries, but not all. As of May 2012, five countries -- Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, the United Kingdom and Ireland -- are not part of the agreement. Each of these countries has its own visitor regulations, so check the State Department’s travel advice website in advance if you intend to travel to any of them. Check for updated info!

Length of Stay

Under Schengen Agreement rules, U.S. passport holders can travel within the member countries area for up to 90 days. If you are on an extended trip, bear in mind that leaving the Schengen area for a few days does not “restart the clock” and grant you a new 90-day period. The 90 days must be spent within a six-month period, meaning that once you leave the Schengen area, you must remain outside it for 90 days before you can return without a visa. If you are traveling to any of the non-Schengen countries and plan to stay for more than a month, check the relevant page on the State Department’s travel advice website for regulations specific to your destination.

Passport Validity

To enter Schengen countries, your passport must be valid for three months beyond the dates of your stay. So, for example, if you intend to stay in Europe for two weeks, your passport must be valid for four more months on your date of arrival, while for a two-month stay you would need five months’ remaining validity. Non-Schengen countries have their own rules that you should check in advance; the United Kingdom, for example, has no minimum validity requirement.


• State Department: International Travel Advice

About the Author: Rita Kennedy is a writer and researcher based in the United Kingdom. She began writing in 2002 and her work has appeared in several academic journals including "Memory Studies," the "Journal of Historical Geography" and the "Local Historian." She holds a Ph.D. in history and an honours degree in geography from the University of Ulster.

Generally there is no real reason to visit apothecary either when you want to buy remedies. Discount pharmacies allow patients to gain access to their prescriptions at a fraction of the cost. Very popular are remedies which are used to reduce treat pain caused by inflammation of the skeletal muscle etc. Viagra is the best physic for helping men to sustain an erection. A lot of patients think about. What do you already know about ? A scientific research about generic levitra online report that men's most common sexual problem is erectile malfunction. Usually, both men and women suffer from sexual problems. While the remedy is credited with nerve ache, it may also kill the mood in bedroom. Sometimes drug may also be used for purposes not mentioned in this therapy guide. Follow the directions for use on your prescription label.

You are here: Home Budapest Resource Center General Travel in the Schengen Zone U.S. Passport Limitations in Europe
Find us on Facebook
Follow Us